Each Health Department is required to have a designated person to serve as the SIDS counselor. This role is required to attend an initial training in-person in Raleigh and participate in the annual update webinar. (INCLUDE OTHER DUTIES FROM Rebecca).
SIDS counselors are available at no cost and can help families deal with their loss. Counselors can:
- Provide support and answer questions
- Collect information about the baby’s health history and death
- Follow-up with the medical examiner’s office
- Help families understand the autopsy report
- Link the family with other local resources